27.7.11

Dancing like actors for all the world to see!

There is a staircase in the Recreation Centre i have worked out of for the better part of 6 years. It is kind of a weird place, it is accessed at the top and bottom by two fire doors so it is always a little humid and not like any other place in the building.  I have climbed those stairs at least a million times, the same stairs at least a million times.  I remember i used to skip up those stairs so excited to go to my little cubical in the back office i first shared with 7 other people.  I was so young and full of energy that was so powerful.  I have dragged my tired legs up those stairs after 14 hour days to go and do a log book or grab my stuff only to stumble down them on my way out.   Our offices have grown and our staff too, it is amazing i still walk those same stairs to my office.  It is just a staircase, built by some city contracted company some 15 years ago, yet i have probably climed those stairs more then any other set of stairs, save for the house i grew up in.  These stairs don't change, the smell, the musk, the weird bugs that only live on the walls and there are only ever two of them.  They are not changing, the whole atmosphere of the building has changed, going from 20 kids a day to over 100 and yet the staircase, and stairwell remain the same. I understand really for the first time why building, physically erecting a structure is such a powerful thing!  Without venue's, without this stairwell, would I have been able to achieve what i have had a hand in doing?  Without flying down and trudging would i be in the same place I am?



Those stairs acted as a fuel to probably the most substantial part of my life thus far.  I have learned on those stairs, I think my first disclosure was in that stairwell, i know i have shed tears there!  I have ran into people.  Those stairs I have raced up or down so many times while children took the elevator just so i could get to the top and be standing there asking them what took them so long!  I learned about the reality of poverty while climbing those stairs.  I learned what true love is, and how heavy life can weigh on your heart.

all i know is i do not feel the same way about the elevator!

No comments:

Post a Comment